Friday, November 29, 2013

Book Clubs!

What an exciting day we had! Today students were introduced to book clubs!  We watched book trailers, discussed responsibilities and handed out books.  Each group had a chance to get together and decide on their first roles.  Our first meeting is Tuesday!  I think you will all really enjoy the experience of sharing your ideas and opinions about the books you're reading,. I can't wait to hear what you think of your books!

PS Here are all 10 books we are reading:

The Lion, the With, and the Wardeobe by C.S. Lewis (So, so, so good and a must read for anyone who loves fantasy!  I remember studying it in Children's Literature in University.  It is quite the deep book!  Some of you have probably already seen the movie)

Drums, Girls and Dangerous Pie by Jordan Sonnenblick (Loved it! Quite the tear jerker for me!)
The Castle in the Attic by Elizabeth Winthrop ( Rated 3.94 on Goodreads, sounds like a winner to me!  Might try to read this one with you.) 

Counting on Grace by Elizabeth Winthrop  (Same author as the last one.  Great for those of you interested in Social Justice, especially child labour.  I think I may read this one after you so I can have it count for my historicla fiction!).   

Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix (Such a fabulous author!  An awesome sci-fi mystery!  It is a series, so get ready to get hooked!)

Alexandria of Africa by Eric Walters (The one I would have chosen if I got to pick a book for book club, can't wait to read it when you are finished!)

Hurt Go Happy by Ginny Rorby (I was sad that I didn't get to read this one right away either since all 6 copies were taken - from what I know, this too is very emotional)
Doorway to Danger by Vicki Blum (A passage into another world with ogre and elves - gotta love fantasy!) 


Loser by Jerry Spinelli (A great author!  I just loved this book trailer!  Looks like it will be a great tale about rising above bullying)

The Music of Dolphins by Karen Hesse (You'll have to pay attention to the font and decide why the author has chosen to change it throughout the book.)

Today's awesomeness.... Drum roll please....

Book Clubs!

What could be better than getting together with friends to discuss a great book you have read? It is a great opportunity to get a deeper understanding of the text, appreciate other peoples points of view and maybe even learn something about yourself along the way. AWESOME!
 
PS Bet you saw that one coming!
PPS Yes, I know I am backlogged on awesome things...  I am working out a list :)

No comments:

Post a Comment